IT governance is one of the best approaches to optimize an organization’s IT assets. The proliferation of internal and external data, increased collaboration, and information sharing platforms undoubtedly expose organizations to ever-growing security risks. To establish proactive security governance, you must understand the threats, assess the risks, and implement appropriate controls. Implementing such systems will provide management and customers the assurance of an effective mechanism to manage risks. In this article at IT Chronicles, Terry Brown explains how IT governance security framework is beneficial and what it must comprise.
IT Governance and Information Security Governance
According to ISACA, an international professional association focused on IT governance, information security governance “consists of the leadership, organizational structures, and processes that safeguard information.” Embedding information security throughout IT governance enables the organization to achieve critical objectives such as ensuring a shared commitment towards its information security strategy.
IT security and IT governance are often interchangeably used. However, here are some key differences:
- IT security includes risk management and mitigation. On the other hand, IT governance security activities include creating and managing a framework that guides the C-suite executives on who is authorized to make decisions and how those decisions are made.
- “Security management is responsible for implementing security controls and developing security strategies,” explains Brown. On the contrary, IT governance security ensures that the security strategies are aligned with business objectives and are compliant with any regulations and standards.
The Goals of Information Security Governance
- Information security governance ensures your business stays in compliance with regulatory requirements and other standards.
- The framework protects business investments by securing business continuity in the event of security breaches.
- IT governance security programs monitor staff and define security measures to make sure that security practices are easy to understand and implement.
If you are uncertain how to structure your governance system, read the original article, https://itchronicles.com/it-governance/it-governance-security/.