Software testing is a crucial part of the software development life cycle (SDLC). Testing must be done at different levels of software development with specific objectives at each level. Therefore, it is essential to ensure that the software testing team includes a perfect mix of skilled professionals with domain expertise. In this article at Security Boulevard, Ismail Egilmez explains the categorization of roles in software testing and the responsibilities shared by each of them.
Roles and Responsibilities
Every organization follows a different structure for its testing team. However, a few members are standard in every structure and fulfill the team’s expectations. This includes:
QA leaders are critical members of a testing team. They must have a thorough understanding of the testing process and methodology. Further, they must also be familiar with the varied test program concerns such as test environment, data management, trouble reporting and resolution, and others. They are responsible for:
- Representing the software testing team and managing customer relationships
- Planning the entire testing process
- Checking resource availability to execute testing activities
- Deciding the test budget and schedule
- Identifying if the testing process is in sync with the software development cycle
- Sharing updates on testing with project managers
“This is generally used as an umbrella term to cover many capabilities. It can refer to many engineers specialized in various testing approaches, such as manual testing, exploratory testing, performance testing, etc.,” explains Egilmez. Test engineers can possess different expertise based on the role assigned by the organization.
Test managers must understand various test program issues such as test data management, test development, and test design. They must also possess technical expertise in programming languages, computing operating systems, and database technologies. They must:
- Monitor staff planning and progress status reporting
- Stay updated about the latest test approaches and tools
- Validate the quality of testing requirements such as test design, testability, and test automation
- Assist the software testing teams to upskill on the latest trends in software testing
Curious to learn more about the roles in software testing teams? Read the original article by clicking on https://securityboulevard.com/2021/05/4-software-testing-roles/.