Stakeholder management is the foundation for project success. Therefore, identifying your project’s stakeholders is one of the first things you must do while initiating a project. Once you identify them, maintain a register to capture the details. The more information you record about the stakeholders, the better. So, what should the stakeholder register consist of? In this article at PM Study Circle, Fahad Usmani explains how to develop a stakeholder register.
What Must You Include in the Register?
“A stakeholder register is a project document that has information about the project stakeholders. It identifies the people, groups, and organizations that have any interest in the work and the outcome,” says Usmani. The register must include the following:
- Stakeholder name
- Current engagement level (are stakeholders unaware, supportive, neutral, resistant, or leading?)
- Interests (their interests and needs)
- Desired engagement level (what engagement level do you want for each stakeholder?)
- Concerns (what are their concerns?)
Parts of a Stakeholder Register
Include stakeholder’s organizational hierarchy, location, and contact details in the register.
The register must consist of stakeholders’ requirements or expectations they have. Document where the stakeholders are likely to exert their influence and how they will influence the project’s lifecycle.
List out if your stakeholders are internal or external. Additionally, classify their impact as upward, downward, sideways, or outward. They can also be classified based on their influence on the project.
Identifying Project Stakeholders
Some stakeholders are obvious-project sponsors, the project team, customers, and project managers. However, there will be several unknown stakeholders. So, how do you find them? Review stakeholder registers for similar current or past projects.
- Talk to your team members to identify individuals and groups within the operational areas.
- Explore the vendors involved in the project.
- Ask your sponsors and subject matter experts to help you identify stakeholders, especially those at the higher levels of your organization.
Read the original article by clicking on https://pmstudycircle.com/2012/06/stakeholder-register-project-management/.